Hip & Groin Pain
Hip pain involves any pain in or around the hip joint. This pain may be felt directly over your hip, in your groin, or, it may even radiate down your leg into your thigh, knee, and as low as your heal. Similarly, pain felt in the hip can also be referred from another source. Common pain referral points for the hip are often the result of a problem in the lower back or pelvis.
We at Evoker understand that hip and groin pain can significantly impact everyday activities including sitting, getting out of a chair, sleeping, walking, climbing stairs & running. Our physiotherapists are experts at assessing hip and groin pain, and provide you with the most accurate diagnosis and implement the most efficient treatment strategy to get you back to what you want to do – sooner!
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
Hip and Groin Pain can vary considerably in its presentation and description. Most commonly hip pain will present as:
- Pain inside the leg or groin area
- Pain on the outside of the hip wrapping around to the buttock, & it can be either
- a local sharp pain, or, a general dull ache.
Hip and groin pain can be a limiting factor with many activities:
- Stiffness or tightness in moving the hip,
- Difficulty with weight baring – standing, walking or running,
- Discomfort when sitting, especially cross-legged,
- Pain getting up from a chair or in/out of the car, and
- Difficulty sleeping, or pain with lying on your affected side.
CAUSES & DIAGNOSIS OF HIP PAIN
There are many structures & causes of hip pain. Below are a few commonly seen pathologies that could be causing your hip pain:
- Adductor Tenosynovitis/Tendinopathy (aka Groin Strain)
- Hip flexor and hamstrings origin tendon problems
- Femoro-acetabular Impingement (FAI)
- Gluteal Muscle Tendinopathy
- Greater Trochanteric Bursitis
- Inguinal Hernia
- Labral Tears
- Osteitis Pubis
- Osteoarthritis of the hip
- Snapping or clicking hip
- Stress fractures to the neck of femur
TREATMENT OF HIP & GROIN PAIN AT EVOKER
We at Evoker have a specialist interest in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment for all hip and groin conditions, as well as post-surgical rehabilitation. Our targeted ‘hands on’ approach, coupled with our comprehensive exercise based treatment, is guided by the results of a thorough physical examination, looking at:
- Entire lower limb (Hip, Knee, Ankle & Foot), lumbar spine, pelvis & SIJ
- Hip muscle (deep and superficial), strength and endurance
- Deep Abdominal, core and pelvic floor muscle control
- Lower limb biomechanics in your chosen activity (how you run, cycle or swim).
Whilst we excel in improving patient outcomes in the above mentioned ‘common conditions’, Physiotherapists at Evoker also have a special interest in assessing and treating those ‘hard to find’ injuries. We have a saying around here: ‘make sure you see the injury before it sees you!’
Some of these ‘more obscure’ conditions include: